Helping your child use a nebulizer
Introducing nebulizer therapy to a child can be a challenge. A nebulizer treatment can take between 15 and 20 minutes, which can seem like an eternity to a child – and to you, if your child is uncomfortable or upset. Here are some tips that may help nebulizer treatments go more smoothly for your child.
· Find something for your child to focus on. Try reading or giving them something to listen to.
· Dip the nebulizer mouthpiece in juice to make it more appealing.
· Become adept at assembling the nebulizer before introducing it to the child. They will feel more comfortable if you seem at ease.
· Make the nebulizer a normal part of your child’s routine by using it in the same place, at the same time each day.
· Let your child handle the nebulizer to become familiar and comfortable with it. Allow them to help with the treatment, such as allowing them to turn the machine on and off.
· Play pretend with your child. They can play astronaut or pretend to snorkel. Let your child decorate the nebulizer.
· Give your child praise and positive reinforcement when they cooperate during treatment.